Employers never cease to be picky. When it comes to recruitment, most look for capabilities to perform tasks needed, training, and industry & general knowledge that a candidate has. These are commonly referred to as hard skills. In recent times, most recruiters are focusing more on soft skills that candidates have to offer.
Soft skills refer to the personal attributes that enable you to interact with other people. They are innate human qualities such as communication, interaction, creativity, innovation, teamwork, leadership, problem-solving, and much more. These skills are usually developed from universal knowledge and understanding of how to act around other people. Soft skills in the workplace are becoming important as organizations look to add additional value to their business. The following are reasons why you should work on perfecting your soft skills;
- Ensures there is Effective Communication: While at the workplace, interaction with colleagues and clients is a must. One who has mastered the art of effective communication will be able to have smooth interactions with fellow employees and also an easy time dealing with customers, vendors, and many other people.
- Helps you to work as a team: There are people who thrive working as a team. Teamwork always puts a test on most employees’ soft skills. In a group where people are working together towards a common goal soft skills such as active listening, time management, collaboration, persuasion come to play. How well these skills are utilized in most cases determine the success of the team at personalities are able to be meshed together overcoming any challenge that the team might face
- Helps in better decision making: A good decision-maker is always thinking on his/her feet to solve a problem. most employers often look for a candidate who is confident enough to reason and eventually come up with solutions to issues facing an organization during the recruitment process. A simple problem might be a nightmare for you in the office if you do not have problem-solving skills. Therefore, you should showcase these skills to avert such issues.
- Helps an employee to be flexible and able to adapt: The modern workplace has so many factors that come to play every day such as employee diversity, work politics, technology among others. A good employee should be able to analyze and understand their environment and demonstrate their capability of providing value by adapting to these factors and still perform their duties. The ability to adapt and be flexible also allows for professional growth. For instance, if there is a new technology that each employer needs to get acquitted with, chances are that the company will be able to grow and become more competitive. Flexible employees are always willing to help out where needed, take on new responsibilities calmly without fuss.
- Enables you to get more customers: Soft skills enable one to sell more. This is not just for those individuals in the sales department but touches on those who have the ability to build and sell ideas, actions, products, or services. The persuasion skills will not only enable individuals to influence perception and decision but also have influential people make up their mind about that which the organization is selling.
- Helps you to grow your network: One should aim to grow their network while in the workplace. How do you achieve this goal? by having that ability to be interesting and interested in relevant industry conversations that motivates people to want to be in your network.By having the ability to provide constructive knowledge, guidance, and feedback that can help others further their career development. This ability is worth noting that is witnessed by people with a curious attitude skill which makes them pursue professional networks
- Helps you to remain organized Workplace organization is important as it affects productivity. This encapsulates simple tasks like timekeeping. Some employees do not know how to keep time. They usually have issues when it comes to time management. Therefore, if you can manage time well and even delegate some activities, you will be more organized in the workplace. Being organized indicates that you are a reliable resource for the company. Your employer can entrust you with duties such as organizing a business gathering, conduct business transactions without errors. This creates relations between the employer and employee that are founded on trust.
- Enables you to handle office politics: Office politics is a fact of life in the corporate world. with the right set of soft skills, one is able to understand and deal with office politics so you can protect yourself from unfairness as well as grow your career. Office politics is all about the people and here your interpersonal skills come to play on building and maintaining those meaningful relationships that are beneficial to your survival.
- Lead to a promotion: A combination of many factors makes one earn a promotion. Proper utilization of some soft skills gives one a chance to subtly market themself to people of power or those that influence the decision-making process. Skills like growth mindset, culture awareness, creativity, emotional intelligence will sure earn you a place at the managerial table
Soft skills are the way forward with the modern workplace. It is no longer about one’s Certificate but about the full spectrum of what an individual has to offer to an employer. It is really time to level up.
READ ALSO: Rejoining the workplace after a career break